The Radio City Music Hall in New York City is among the most well-known entertainment venues in the world. From hosting talent shows to staging concerts featuring the hottest artists over the years, the reputed home of the Rockettes has been a mainstay in music and art for quite a while now.
But how much do you know about Radio City? Read on to learn a few things about this magical theater that you may not have known before.
1. Radio City was launched in 1932 by John D. Rockefeller, in partnership with the Radio Corporation of America and design work from S. L. Roxy Rothafel and Donald Deskey.
2. Over 300 million people have passed through its doors since it first opened.
3. Radio City Music Hall is the largest indoor theatre in the world, designed to hold over 6,000 guests all at once. Its gold stage curtain is also the largest.
4. The cinema was once the biggest tourist destination in all of New York.
5. The massive stage at Radio City still utilizes the same hydraulic system that it was built with in 1932. So ahead of its time was the system that it was an inspiration for the Navy in how they built aircraft carriers.
6. Since 1933, over 700 films have premiered at the theater.
7. The largest show staged at the Radio City Music Hall is the annual Christmas Spectacular which features an all-female group known as the Rockettes. Every year, the show attracts upwards of a million people, making it one of the most well-attended shows in its class and has earned the venue the nickname “Showplace of the Nation.”
8. Many of New York’s most popular landmarks are open to the public, but there are very few where you can get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the history and action on stage such as the Music Hall.
9. Some of the biggest names in music have headlined concerts at Radio City: Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, The Count Basie Orchestra, Ray Charles, BB King, Stevie Wonder, Celine Dion etc.
10. The size of the stage has made it possible to host sporting events, such as WNBA basketball games and boxing.
Radio City Music Hall is no ordinary place. If you have never been there, it’s a place that you should add to your bucket list of venues to visit at least once in your life.